Salsa Verde Pasta is a delicious Mexican inspired dish full of flavor and cheese. It’s bound to be a hit for any pasta lover!
Welcome to Meatless Monday where each week I introduce you to a meat-free meal that is delicious and sure to satisfy your tastebuds. The Salsa Verde Pasta dish I’ve created is a delicious Mexican pasta dish that will leave you and your family begging for more.
For a while, I’ve thought it would be interesting to add salsa to a pasta dish, but I wasn’t sure how it would taste. One afternoon I was starving, and there wasn’t a lot of food in our house and decided it was time to experiment since I had salsa and pasta. I quickly looked online to see if a recipe existed and one did. My version is little different, but it still tastes delicious. The recipe I found adds chicken, and I think in the future if I were to make this I would add chicken as well, but it’s still a great filling option for Meatless Monday.
This recipe tasted great as a reheat and it gives you options to be creative. Other ingredients you could add are tomatoes, green onion, sour cream, or beef instead of chicken.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 3 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1/2 cup green peppers
- 1/2 cup red peppers
- 1/2 cup onion
- pepper and garlic to taste
- 2 cups of shredded cheese. I used mild and sharp cheese, and I probably used closer to two and a half cups of cheese.
- Turn oven on to broil.
- In a large pan saute peppers and onions until onion are translucent.
- Next, add broth, salsa verde, Greek yogurt, uncooked pasta, to the peppers and onions.
- Add pepper and garlic pepper.
- Stir frequently and bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover, and reduce heat to low.
- Let the meal simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of cheese to the pan.
- Stir until cheese is melted
- Add remaining cheese to the top of the meal.
- Broil in oven four minutes.
- I added tajin seasoning to the top for extra flavor.
What’s your favorite Meatless meal? I’d love to know please comment below!