Penne Alla Vodka is a classic pasta dish, but this version has a healthy twist that families everywhere will enjoy!
Welcome to Meatless Monday where each week I present a delicious and healthy meal that is free of meat!
I love listening to music as I cook. I feel like it enhances the cooking experience for me. I usually play random music on Spotify and feel the beats, Not to be confused with feeling the beets, which I never do!
It adds a little something extra when my husband isn’t home because I can listen to my guilty pleasure music without the guilt or explanation On this particular night, I was listening shamelessly to pop music (BBmak) while cooking. If you dread cooking put some music on, pour yourself a drink of your favorite beverage (Water for me), and let the music inspire you in the kitchen. haha
I love this version of Penne Alla Vodka. To add Vodka in the title seems unnecessary since there is no vodka in the recipe. I’m honestly not sure if I’ve ever had a real version of Penne Alla Vodka since I’ve been making this version for over five years. I like this version because it’s healthier thanks to Greek yogurt but still maintains good flavor.
It takes about a half hour to prepare assuming you don’t get side tracked with texting, Facebooking, and rocking out to music like I end up ALWAYS doing!. This is a family favorite, and hopefully, it will become a staple in your home as well!
Penne Alla Vodka
- 8 oz whole wheat penne
- 2 cups Rocco’s How Low Can You Go Low-Fat Marinara Sauce (I use whatever brand I have)
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 (7 oz) container 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Bonus seasonings: Italian Seasoning, onion powder, and pepper.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions, about 9 minutes; drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, bring the marinara sauce and crushed red pepper to a simmer in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat.
- Cook the sauce, stirring it occasionally with a heat-resistant rubber spatula, until it is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the sauté pan from the heat.
- Stir in ½ cup of the marinara sauce into the yogurt until smooth (this tempers it and prevents the yogurt from curdling).
- Then whisk the yogurt mixture back into the marinara sauce.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the sauce with the drained penne and the basil.
- Add seasonings and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Serve and enjoy!