Chicken Stew Over Rice or Quinoa is a delicious meal that’s bursting with flavor.
Chicken Stew over brown rice or Quinoa is one of my favorite meals because it’s healthy and keeps me full for a long period of time. I’ve been making this recipe for the past few years, and I love the flavor the meal provides. Is it the simplest meal out there? No! However, the flavor makes up for the extra work which is worth it to me.
I discovered this meal when I visited Sarah Snow’s website back in College. I casually throw Sara Snow’s name out there as if she is someone everyone knows. In fact, if you know her than we are meant to be best friends because I adore her. For those not familiar with her she hosted a show in 2007 on Discovery Health about living the green lifestyle, something I desire to do but cannot seem to make the full commitment. In the past, I’ve made a few of her recipes, and they’ve turned out fantastic which is why I can confidently post this recipe.
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 chicken thin breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic – smashed
- 1/2 medium yellow onion – cut into thick chunks
- 1 red bell pepper – cut into thick chunks
- 1 green bell pepper – cut into thick chunks
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, paprika, and pepper.
- Toss the chicken pieces until lightly coated.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan.
- Cook the chicken in the oil until browned on all sides.
- Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add in half the chicken broth (1/2 cup) into the large pan
- Then add onion, garlic and olive oil to the pan. Bring to a low simmer.
- Next, add the peppers and continue to simmer until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Pour the remaining broth.
- Dice chicken into chunks and add the chicken back into the pan.
- Cover pan for 10 minutes and let it simmer.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid and continue to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add crushed red pepper to the meal.
- Serve with brown rice or quinoa.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please let me know what you think and until next time, Happy Cooking!
Recipe in Pictures
Adding the veggies
Adding the chicken back in to let it simmer